Lovely Additions – 19th April

I haven’t updated this in a while and somehow a few books have managed to squeeze their way onto the bookshelves – they can be very sneaky like that…jumping into your shoppping trolley, hopping into your (reusable) bag in charity shops, trotting out of the library…

Four were swaps on www.readitswapit.co.uk , a bookswapping site which I have “frequented” for a few years now - Queen Victoria – Demon Hunter by A E Moorat which is a very different genre for me, Steampunk, but I do like to try new things!  I believe the latest in this series is titled Abraham Lincoln – Vampire Hunter, has got to be fun, n’est-ce pas? My other two swaps were  A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick, of which I have seen varied reviews, Marmite book perhaps.  Thursday’s Child by Sonya Hartnett is described as a slick, psychological thriller for children (a bit of contradiction in terms??).  This will be my first read by this Australian author for Young Adults who claims not to write for Young Adults but for herself.  I think I’ll like it anyway!  Last of the swaps was At the House of the Magician by Mary Hooper, another children’s writer, this one being another example of her engaging historical fiction, probably not suitable for those who like their history detailed and exact but ideal for a Philistine like me!

I purchased 3 books, Edith Nesbit – A Woman of Passion by Julia Briggs from Amazon.  Do you ever get those urges to simply have to get a book straightaway when you hear about it?  Guilty as charged…for one reason or another, E Nesbit has cropped up in a lot of my bookish conversations recently, she was one of my favourite childhood authors and it turns out she was quite a bohemian in her time so I’m really looking forward to this one.  I was a complete numpty and bought The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katharine Howe as I had read and enjoyed The Lost Book of Salem by the same author – ALERT!!!!  ALERT!!!!  it turns out they’re the same book and if I had looked at the very small print at the bottom of the front cover I might have noticed this – doh!!  Why oh why do they do this kind of thing?  Obviously so dumbos like me will buy two copies of the same book…  Another purchase from War on Want was In A Blue Velvet Dress by Catherine Sefton, another children’s book but the blurb just drew me in – Jane is a bookworm.  So when her parents sail off to Scotland, leaving her with the bookless Hildreths, Jane is soon bored.  Then, as if by magic, a book appears on her bedside table…and the next night, another one…But how and from whom?  Who could resist that?

I won a copy of Hell’s Belles by Paul Magrs from Floor to Ceiling Books, thank you Amanda.  I have heard so much about Whitby and how beautiful it is and this is the closest I’m going to get to it for a good while, I reckon.  Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, in a spanking new cover, arrived from Simon and Schuster – I find the whole concept of this novel intriguing given that we’re living in a world where your appearance determines your status to a large degree.  Last but not least, The Year of Fog by  Michelle Richmond which was given to me by Liz, a lovely book fairy friend.  I think this one will resonate with me as it’s about the disappearance of a 6 year old child and I have the impression it doesn’t have a neat, tidy, happy ever after ending – might need the tissues…

So, there you go, tea time already and I’ve waffled on for longer than I intended.

Have you read any of the above?  Do you have any thoughts on them – negative or positive or just meh? Do you have any bookshelf space left even with books tripled parked???  Au revoir. :-)

• Share/Bookmark

16 Comments

1. Iris says:

I haven’t read any of the books you mentioned, but I’ve heard of Queen Victoria – Demon Hunter. In all honesty I’m hoping the mash-up crazy monster genre will stop soon, because it’s getting to be a bit tiring, but I think this one was one of the first. It might just do a better job than most of them. I hope you enjoy it!

2. admin says:

Maybe I’m a sado-masochist, Iris, but I feel obliged to try all genres, no matter how initially off-putting they can be! Having said that, I glanced at the first few pages of this one and it did seem a bit gory and I don’t do gore. If it’s still languishing on my TBR pile this time next year…

3. Laura says:

Bah, I have tried to obtain steampunk reads from my local library but it has proved a difficult task. Perhaps I need to kick start my readitswapit account again.

4. admin says:

Hi Laura, thank you for visiting! There are quite a few Steampunk fans on RiSi – that’s where I first really heard of the genre and I know that they have been very successful in obtaining swaps – have you ever tried Bookmooch? I must track down an article that I found recently on top steampunk reads if you haven’t already seen it. I know that fellow RiSiers were able to get swaps for titles on that list.

5. Elaine Dingsdale says:

How bizarre-I’ve just finished reading “Hell’s Belles”. It’s the fourth in a series, and you would really be best to read at least one of the previous, as the background information can be confusing. It’s good-the best of the 4, but feel that the author is overworking the idea. It’s witty and macabre-but overall, just a bit daft. Not sure I’ll read many more in the series, although think there’s another planned for later in the year.

6. Nymeth says:

I haven’t yet read any of those, but I’ve been coveting the Nesbit biography, especially because she partially inspired Olive Wellwood in A.S. Byatt’s The Children’s Book (which I loved).

7. Stujallen says:

some great additions ,always love see what books everyone gets ,warmnest stu

8. admin says:

Elaine, how bizarre indeed…I believe that The Bride that Time Forgot is coming out soon – wonderful titles! I’d hoped I could read this one as a stand alone – okay, you can be my chief adviser and tell me which one I should read before HB in order to enhance my reading experience!!

9. admin says:

The Children’s Book has been on my wishlist for a while and I actually picked it up in a second hand bookshop at the weekend and for some reason didn’t buy it – might have something to do with the fact my daughter had already chosen 7 books! Did you read Nesbit as a child? I would love to read it to my children but it feels really dated now, likewise the Narnia books although I could still re-read them…

10. Saucier says:

You wicked, wicked woman. Another book added to my wishlist (The Uglies).
    I have not read any of these books so can’t give any advice and I just do not fancy trying Steampunk myself. Xx

11. admin says:

Hazel, you’re more than welcome to Uglies when I’ve read it – do remind me if you notice me reading it, head like sieve etc!!

12. Nymeth says:

I actually only read my first Nesbit a few years ago (The Enchanted Castle) and loved it! It worked much better for me than the Narnia books, which I also came to as an adult and couldn’t get into. Her books do have an old-times feel to them, though. That works for me now because I’m interested in the early 20th century, but it might not work for a child.

13. SazzyMCH says:

I have a feeling Steampunk may be something Chris may like………………..hmmmmm, I’m off to the library website to look!

14. admin says:

Nymeth, she has written so many fabulous books, my favourites as a child were The Phoenix and The Carpet, The Five Children and It and The Wouldbegoods – most definitely classics.

15. admin says:

Sarah, glad to be of service, there’s a lot of it about…steampunk, that is! :-)

16. admin says:

Here are a couple of links to threads I started on http://www.readitswapit.co.uk re steampunk, lists of classic titles etc for anyone who is interested in investigating further….

and

http://forums.readitswapit.co.uk/forums/p/72374/689834.aspx#689834 which includes a good definition of steampunk.

Happy steampunking! ;-)